Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

GLEE: BRITNEY/BRITTANY

So all you 'GLEEks' out there must've caught last night's episode already; the much-awaited Britney Spears episode. In all honesty, I had mixed feelings about the idea of having an episode dedicated to Brit-brit, especially after the much-loved Madonna episode from season one. After the success of the Madge epi, I was thinking that the producers of the show could follow suit with a number of artists: Janet, Whitney, or even Elton. But then I thought the idea would become gimmicky.

But the American public wanted more, and we got Britney Spears.

While I will probably be the first to hum along to one of her songs on the radio (Yes, I do have several of her songs on my Shuffle - haha...), I don't think I have the same love for her as others do. She had cool dances, yes. Fashion sense - eh - she was fine, but not ever too impressive. Singing talent -- I always (and still do) choose Christina A. over Brit-brit. But like most pop stars, she had catchy tunes & fun videos. That said, I had no expectations of the Brit epi on GLEE.

Without giving anything away, I'll say that the episode's only saving grace (aside from Brittany S. Pierce's spot-on delivery of her infamous one-liners) were the dance/song numbers. Heather Morris is one talented beeyatch. I first spotted her a few years back when she (along with another girl) danced with Beyonce at one of the AMAs. The number was to "Single Ladies," and she was the first white girl that I saw cast to dance with Beyonce --and, yes, there were only three of them on that damn stage. White girl danced the shit out of that, and I remember sitting in my apartment, watching, and immediately picking up my cell to text a friend about it. While Beyonce was the obvious star of that performance, I couldn't keep my eyes off Heather Morris because she 1) kept up with Bey, 2) danced the f*ck out of that song, and 3) did I mention that she was white???

Heather Morris' dance numbers on the Brit epi were amazing, and I might even go as far to say that she dances even better than Brit herself. But she's worked hard to get where she is today. She was shy of making the Top 20 of So You Think You Can Dance (Season 2), and soon moved to L.A. where she quickly became part of the city's super huge dance scene. More gigs came her way, including the gig she did with Beyonce, and she soon ended up in the studio to choreograph "Single Ladies" for the Kurt-focused episode in season 1. She was asked to be the "third" cheerleader, and the rest - as they say - is history.

It's safe to say that in the GLEE world, Heather M. has arrived. And Brittany S. Pierce is yummerooooo enough to stay.

Britney/Brittany Episode Rating: B- (The uber talented writers of GLEE could've pulled-out a better story line, for sure.)
Heather Morris' Dance Numbers Rating: A+++
--

(Photo credit: FOX)

No comments:

Post a Comment